photo

photo
photo by Sheri Dixon

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Hallmark Didn't Have One That Said This...

"You are my knight in shining armor"
I've always said-
Every card I give you says that
And has for the last 18 years.

Eighteen years ago you saved me
Penniless
Loveless
Hopeless
You rode to my rescue
In spite of your own injuries
That were every bit as horrible
As my own

I saw you for real
And in my mind's eye
Young and strong
Because even wounded
We were both still
Young and strong

Here's what I now know
Looking back on our life

Any young fool can ride in
Charging steed
Shiny new armor
Unmarred and clean

And be brave

When the knight has been mutilated
His horse crippled
His armor dented and burnt
From years of battles

And he fights pain and weariness
Every single day

But he gets up and
Keeps going every single day

Facing the same dragon
Over and over again

For ME
For our Boy
Our Family

That's courage.

Happy Birthday, Gomez
You are much more than my knight
You're my hero

I love you more today than I did yesterday
More than I did 18 years ago
But not as much as I will
Tomorrow











1 comment: