photo

photo
photo by Sheri Dixon

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Just a Glance Backwards To Steady Ourselves...

So yesterday was Date Day for Ward and I. We have a weird house, a weird life, a weird family- there's one Mom and everyone wants some of her time to themselves. Of course Mom still needs to work, and take care of critters, and write, and yanno...sleep. On a good day I get to pee by myself.

Enter the Institution of Date Day for everyone. More like a Date Afternoon, because really.

So Tuesdays Alec and I have Date Day- we go to the mall, or the book store, or other shopping venue an eleven year old boy enjoys. Lately we've been going to the schmancy Fresh grocery store that just opened up- I tossed a cookbook into the back seat and he picked out what we cooked for dinner that night (and it was awesome).

There is always a snack involved.

Saturdays Joe and I have Date Day- we go to Home Depot, or Tractor Supply, or other shopping venue a sixty-eight year old boy enjoys. Lately we've been going to the schmancy Fresh grocery store that just opened up- we grazed through the deli and brought home a veritable smorgasbord for dinner that night (and it was awesome).

There is always a snack involved.

Fridays Ward and I have Date Day- we try to go for a walk in a park, or run some errands, things an old married couple in their 50's enjoys. We may even go to the schmancy Fresh grocery store that just opened up, but just spending time together alone is more precious than anything (in fact, it's awesome).

Of course, there is always a snack involved.

Here's the thing.

One year ago, almost exactly, I came horrifyingly close to losing Ward. And though it may seem odd or morose to commemorate such an awful time in our marriage, our lives, it's important to not stuff it into the back of the closets of our minds- important to not forget it.

While we're in the middle of experiences that are wildly good or hideously bad we say to ourselves, "I will never forget this", but you do. I do. We all do.

So for the next few months, off and on, I'm going to be re-visiting and re-posting blog entries from that time. I'll be sure to open with a warning, so no one reads them and thinks "HOLY CRAP- it's happening AGAIN".

Because that would be cruel. I'm many many things, but not cruel.

Date Day yesterday Ward and I walked the Azalea Trail in Tyler. It was dazzlingly beautiful, and I took alot of photos. On a whim, I took one of us- one of those "hold the camera at arms length and grin" photos that are considered a success if no one's head is chopped off.

And as dazzlingly beautiful as the banks and yardsful and mountains of flowers were, my handsome, brave husband was the most beautiful part of my day. Is the most beautiful part of my life.

See? Just try to deny it...

2 comments:

  1. A more perfect, loving, couple would be mighty hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, (((((PEGGY))))) we tend to think so too- even before Ward got sick, we both knew from (bad previous marriage) experience that what we've got in each other is special. Well, what *I* got is special, not sure what poor Ward got out of it LOL

    ReplyDelete