photo

photo
photo by Sheri Dixon

Friday, March 18, 2011

Sometimes, You Just Gotta Back Off and Bake Something...

The world is going straight to hell in a handbasket and there's no denying it.

I can't get my head around most of it for the threat of my head exploding and making a terrible mess.

So much horror. So much stupidity. So much...

And I can't even formulate a coherent article from the scattered shards of disjointed frustration in my brain, so here's what I needed to do.

Breathe.

Look.

It's currently 79 degrees and sunny here in East Texas.

Directly outside my window 3 chickadees are fluttering in the pines. I can't hear traffic. I can't see another house. I'm Home. My family is here, too- and safe.

Sometimes the act of doing something mundane, ordinary, and normal is an extreme act of defiance in the face of freakish abnormality.

So I bake.

And I share.

I share the baked goods with my family and the recipe with ya'll.

And yes, I cheat and use a bread maker. If that's the worst thing you can say about me, I'll wear that with pride.

Peace in your families and in your homes. Never take a minute for granted.

Sweet Potato Bread

1 cup milk
1 large egg plus enough water to make 2/3 cup
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
4 cups unbleached white flour
2/3 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
1 1/4 tsp yeast

add all ingredients to machine and set to "white bread" cycle.

1 comment:

  1. For these last few weeks I've had this blog post banging around in my mind. I get glimpses, but it's not all there yet. Something about how we were taught as children not to compare ourselves to other people. Not to look at others around us, decide they have it better, and tear them down for it.

    Or decide that we have it better, and tear them down for it.

    Or decide that what will make us happy is to take from others and give to ourselves.

    I dunno.

    I need a bread maker.

    ReplyDelete